Thursday, September 3, 2009

Open Letter to the UCLA Comedy Panelists: You Suck! Tina Mabry and Michael Hyatt: You Two - Rock!



When I walked out of the UCLA Writers' Fair last Sunday I was extremely agitated.

I had come to help a friend hand out business cards to promote her resource website for writers (very awesome- check it out) and hopefully do some networking of my own. The Writers' Fair was an attempt to attract writers - of all genres - to the fabled UCLA Extension program. More than a few success stories had come out of there, so I was geeked to have the opportunity to get some free advice from the various panels that were set up for the day.

My primary concentration is screenwriting, but I've committed myself to adding a couple television spec scripts to my portfolio - so I took my happy ass over to the Comedy Writing for Television panel. Comedy! What better way to spend 40 minutes? Almost immediately I had the sense that I should leave. The four panelists in attendance seemed knowledgeable enough, but the amount of grousing going on was absolutely off-putting. The first ten minutes was used to tell all the potentially most talented writers in the world sitting in that room (and the place was packed), that the business was hard and there was only a handful of opportunities for the most determined and young writers. WTF!

Why were these people representing the Writing Program? They had clearly been beaten up by the game and were clearly bitter! In fairness, the chairman of the panel, a gregarious guy who was born to be a comedy writer, tried to keep the proceedings a little more hopeful, but the other panelist (especially the husband and wife team) would have none of it. Finally, during the Q&A period, one of the attendees asked, what I'm sure we all had been wondering, "Do you like being a writer?" They all chimed in a mostly convincing "yes," but the damage had already been done, at least as far as I was concerned.

Now don't get me wrong. I am fully aware how tough this business can be and how much talent road kill litters the halls of studios and production offices, but you don't go out of your way to crush a dream before it has even gotten its sea legs.

As I drove home, still shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the most inappropriate people to populate a "come spend your money at our school" panel, I was grateful that I had had a more encouraging dinner with director Tina Mabry (Mississippi Damned, Brooklyn's Bridge to Jordan) and actor Michael Hyatt(Mississippi Damned, The Wire) a couple weeks before.



I'd met Michael in church of all places. I had just seen Mississippi Damned the night before and was blown away by her performance. And as the Universe would have it she sat right next to me in the packed room. She let me be a gushing fangirl for a moment (very gracious woman) then we chatted like normal people (me telling her I was a screenwriter and new to LA, and she congratulating me for following my destiny). At the end of the service she asked that we exchange info. I was floored. Actors are really regular people...lol

A couple weeks later I got a call from Michael inviting me to dinner with her and Tina. We ended up meeting at Morel's French Steakhouse and Bistro at the much talked about The Grove. Almost immediately I knew I was in for a hell of an evening. Tina and Michael were bawdy and funny and smart and way down to earth. Over escargot (yuck!) and wine, they shared stories of their time on the Mississippi Damned set (I wont repeat the more juicy details here) and how profoundly blessed they felt to have the opportunity to make this provocative and moving film (see review a couple entries down).


I was totally sucked into their banter so I was completely caught off guard when they both turned to me and asked why I had given up my life in DC and moved to the city of movie dreams. Now I barely can remember what I said. Maybe something about always loving movies? Understanding how film has been a huge cultural touchstone in our society. And who wouldn't want to live in sunny Los Angeles - even as a struggling writer. Something like that.

Suddenly Michael and Tina got all serious on me. They started doling out some "sister love and advice." Tina was adamant that I remember exactly who I was when opportunities came my way. She was clear that no amount of money was worth forgetting that. At the end of the day I needed to feel good about myself. She was currently getting a lot of praise and opportunities, as a result of her stellar work on Mississippi Damned, so she knew what she was talking about. Michael chimed in that as artists we should never sell our art short. What we do is not easy, even if some claim it is frivolous, and we shouldn't give it away - ultimately causing others to believe it not valuable.

Somewhere in there they both shared that the business was hard. That I always had to show up with my A game. That I shouldn't get caught up on the perceived "lost opportunities" because there were plenty more right around the corner. But what they really wanted me to remember? If I kept my integrity and maintained a solid support system, I would always be alright.

Sure these fabulous divas led me astray on the escargot (did I mention - yuck!), but on everything else, I know they were absolutely right. And they certainly had a better pitch than the bitter bitch panelists at UCLA.

Love, Michelle:)

No comments:

Post a Comment